Roasted veg & halloumi on grilled ciabatta
By beaufief, Sep 25 2014 05:13PM
Okay, so in a mission to move away from the traditional dull-as-dishwater sandwich, hubby came up with these tasty rolls one Saturday afternoon. I absolutely love roasted veg, it's so simple but really tasty especially if you can get them to chargrill slightly. He used peppers and tomatoes but it would work just as well with courgettes, aubergine etc. Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 ciabbatta rolls
1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, in their skins
2tsp fennel seeds
250g halloumi, sliced half cm thick.
Handful roughly chopped parsley
Salt & pepper.
1. Roughly chop the onion and peppers. Don’t do them too thin, make sure they’re chunky. Place in a roasting tin with the cherry tomatoes.
2. Squash the garlic cloves using the back of a knife, and place in the tin. Toss the veg in olive oil and season with salt, pepper and the fresh parsley.
3. Roast on 180 degrees for approx. 20 minutes until caramelised.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Sprinkle one side of the halloumi with half the fennel seeds and add to the pan, seeded side down. Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden.
5. Halve the ciabbatta baps and drizzle in a little oil before toasting.
6. Sprinkle the fennel seeds onto the other side of the halloumi and turn in the pan to cook the other side until broken.
7. Once the ciabbatta is toasted, assemble the sandwich with a layer of the roasted veg, topped with the halloumi.